Ben wasn’t real happy about the idea of another veggie meal this week. (the night before was a failed soy chorizo attempt that he did not enjoy). But as you know I’m trying to reduce the amount of animal protein I and WE eat. Thank you to Beth’s Journey for not one, but now two veggie recipes that Ben has admitted enjoyment and “would eat again”. This time we had Spaghetti Squash with Kale, Feta, and Poached Egg. Totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but don’t you love these greens?
This was my first time poaching eggs. Can’t say I achieved perfection, but I didn’t do too bad either!
Our friend Cynthia came up for the weekend to hang out with Amanda, Joe and the kiddies and me and Ben. Hurray! Apparently I was lame though and took very few pictures. We did have pumpkin carving fun yesterday. Eli, in particular, had pumpkin fun!
He handled it surprisingly well, not even a little cry. 🙂
This morning we all gathered together again for some brunch. As you know, I LOVE brunch!
Brunch today was some Baked French Toast, but with homemade Gluten-Free Brioche for the bread. Yum, I love French Toast! My other brunch favorite is a Breakfast Strata recipe from my friend Kristen. Trust me, you should make this one anytime you have people over for brunch. I have made this dish multiple times and it never gets old, so delicious!
I’m going to need some serious food detox this week. I woke up three mornings in a row feeling hungry which always means I ate too much the day before (does anyone else have that happen, it’s so weird). It was also a pretty stressful week at work so I might have been making just a few (okay, more than a few) unhealthy snacking decisions. It’s going to be another busy week, but I’m hoping I can do better this time! One day at a time, right?
The good news is I was right on track for my workout goals this week. I completed everything with the exception of the six-mile run today. That was a bit more thanks to Mother Nature dropping a snowstorm in October than my laziness. I switched it out with a Jillian Michaels workout. Sorry, I’m just not quite ready to start running in the snow yet. I need to get used to the cold temps, then I’ll figure out the snow, so Mother Nature if you could go ahead and hold off on that snow situation until a more appropriate time (like never), that would be awesome. Thank you.
Hope you had a great weekend with friends like I did!
Kristen’s Breakfast Strata
- 8 slices bacon
- small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 loaf Ciabatta bread (if going for gluten-free, substitute with shredded potato or frozen hash browns)
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Chopped fresh basil
- 10 eggs
- Milk or cream for eggs
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crisp bacon. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Take the crust off bread and cover the bottom of the pan (or do the same with potato).
- Layer on a lot of cheese (I normally use the whole bag, more cheese=more good). Layer onions and bacon over the cheese. Layer slices of tomato all over.
- Beat eggs slightly with milk or cream. Mix in chopped basil. Pour eggs over the whole pan. Sprinkle top with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Be sure that eggs are set, bottom will become slightly brown.